Friday, January 6, 2012

"You have Lupus."..."What's that?"

Lupus is an autoimmune deficiency disease.  In loose terms it means that my white blood cells can't distinguish the difference between an actual infection and healthy cells and organ tissue.  In my case I had strep throat.  Oddly enough, the strep throat virus cells resemble the kidneys.  So after the infection was killed, my white blood cells turned on my kidneys.  At that time, I didn't know what that meant to me, but by the look on my mom's face it wasn't promising. 
The explanation of what was happening immediately turned into ideas on how to treat and live with it.  I was scared at the idea that there is no known cure, just methods of control.  The first of which was chemotherapy and steroids.  The steroids weren't all that big of a deal, but the chemo was a totally different story.  For some reason, it made feel like I was gonna die soon.  I wanted cry on the spot, but I couldn't, I was numb at that point.  Not even a month out of the hospital, I have a disease called Lupus, and I'm facing chemotherapy. The treatments were once a month for three months, and then once a month every other month for six months.
Going to the treatment center was a rough mental workout.  I only smiled to keep from crying. Everything in my body screamed run.  "I don't wanna do this", "I don't wanna do this", "I can't do this."  That's all I heard in my mind.  One time I sat in my car and bawled my eyes out, cause I just didn't wanna do it.  But, I did it anyway. Each time was harder than the last, especially when I started going by myself.  Mom was there the first time, but after that it was just me. An 18 year old kid sitting in a chemo center alone, afraid, and angry.  That place stole and that process made me bitter at life.  It stole my will to point that I SERIOUSLY thought about suicide.  I eventually came to the conclusion that my death by my own hand would cause more pain than relief.  So, I soldiered on.

9 comments:

  1. Just read your blog - never knew you had thoughts of suicide. As your mother hearing the words Lupus, Kidney Failure and Chemotherapy in relationship to one of my children was VERY frightening - I wanted to take your place. No able bodied young man should have to deal w/Dialysis. My only prayer for you and your siblings has always been that God allows you each to live a productive happy life. Just know that God is always in control and he has his hands on your life. I Love You and am always praying for you. Love Moma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this has got to be therapy for you! Continue to allow God to use you, as I am sure your story is blessing others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much at take in at one time and at such a rapid pace, is alot of for anyone to handle. What made you feel or gave you the strength to keep moving foward; do you feel like you gained anything from the first phase of all of this? How do you feel it has changed you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew about chemo... I cried... or suicide... cried more... I'm glad that was abandoned.... where would I be without my twin who is 15 months younger than me!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this all like it was yesterday... one thing in my life I'll never forget, even though at the time I didn't knowthe extent of this disease. I remember crying when mama told me you were in the hospital and wanting to give you one of my kidneys...anything to bring my brother home and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears. Love it......"i soldiered on." I wish i had my mama's words. I wish i knew how she felt & what she was thinking. We were kids when she was diagnosed. She didn't tell us right away, but we knew she wasn't well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "So I soldiered on" I never thought those 4 words would mean so much. I am in tears. Woooow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cousin your words has just pushed my faith and walk with God to another level.I love You...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear friend, I hadn't seen you on Facebook in a while and today I learned of your passing. Heartbroken is a understatement. You were and will always be a kind, strong, genuine person. You battled this illness for a very long time and never let anyone feel sorry for you. You are with God now, and I hope you are hooping everyday:-) You are gone, but you will never be forgotten. Rest in peace, much love. -Melissa

    ReplyDelete