Thursday, January 5, 2012

Kidney Failure!

When I was 17 years old I spent two weeks in the hospital. Lying in the bed day after day not knowing why I was there, added to my anxiety and depression.  The only thing that was clear was that my kidneys were failing. At this time, it wasn't Lupus. I was x-rayed, needled, and CAT SCANed to death just to be continuously misdiagnosed.  This is when the priority simply became to jump start my kidneys.  After showing signs of improvement and later total recovery, I was released from that prison without bars. Going home I was consumed with to goals: Getting back on the basketball court and getting caught up on my school work (in that order). I remember coming home from school, and doing an hour of homework, and then going to park for two hours of basketball (I was obsessed with playing). It eventually came back to me, kinda like riding a bike.  I've been asked, "why was basketball so important to you?" It was my get away, my love, my stress reliever.  It's what I did when I was angry. When I was on the court (especially by myself) it was my fortress of solitude.  I didn't know that all I had was about to soon come crashing down all around me...

7 comments:

  1. What did they say when you went home? How did it feel to be back on the basketball court?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason, thanks for sharing your story. Looking forward to reading it. I'm sorry you had to give up basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome start. I Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason, I am excited for you!! I cant wait to read more and share with others. Tamika

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember sitting and watching while wondering what was going on... It was a scary and crazy experience to watch... I love you big bro, keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember coming to see you in the hospital. I remember riding in the elevator & being so nervous & scared for you. I'm not even sure how I found out because by then I was going to Central. I remember walking in your room & seeing you laying in that bed. I was trying so hard to keep it together but when I left I was a mess! I could not stop crying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for letting us in your life.....these means more to me than u could ever know. Love u cousin.

    ReplyDelete